Sony’s Biggest Gamble: Xperia Play (PlayStation) Smartphone
Sony Ericsson has done the miracle. They have successful merged a Sony PlayStation Portable with their Xperia Phone which leads to a miraculous yet question raising product called – ‘Xperia Play’.
The concept of Xperia Play Smartphone is unique, no doubt about that but is it something people would put their money on?
Well for that, we would have to see public’s reaction when the product actually makes its grand entry in the Smartphone Market.
Image Credit: GSM Arena
On papers it looks terrific; I mean Xperia Play Smartphone would be great fun to use. You can play HD games on wide-screen just like doing it on a PSP.
Let’s have a look at what Sony has installed both in terms on Hardware and Software on much-hyped Smartphone.
Technical Specification (Tech Specs) of Sony Xperia Play Smartphone
- 4-inch capacitive touchscreen that support 16M colors and renders display at 480 x 854 pixels resolution
- Touch-sensitive gaming controls with PSP like Gaming buttons
- Timescape UI such that you can keep notice of what’s happening with your social network
- 380MB user-memory available (RAM)
- 8GB memory card included for storage which can upgrade up to 32GB
- 5MP Camera, autofocus, LED flash for casual photography
- Runs on Android OS 2.3 (Gingerbread), the latest Android OS for Smartphones
- 1GHz Scorpion Qualcomm MSM8255 Snapdragon CPU with Adreno 205 GPU (Graphics Processing Unit)
- It support Wi-Fi, 3G and Bluetooth 2.1+ such that you are always connected
All in all Xperia Play Smartphone doesn’t seem very interesting in hardware except for the Adreno 205 GPU. These days, almost every other Smartphone is coming up with a dual-core processor and this device still runs on a single core, that news is kind of hard to digest.
There are naturally not many people who would like to experiment such a device except for the technology enthusiasts like me. It is a semi-smartphone, it can work complete like a Smartphone but in looks it has this childish feel that would drive many business people away from it.
College kids and Teens might want to lay hands on Sony Xperia Play Smartphones but the price tag would be a problem. Even a BlackBerry Curve 8520 would suffice the professional looks and it would cost 1/3rd of Xperia Play Smartphone.
In short Xperia Play is a bit weird piece of imagination. Sony Xperia Play Smartphone is expected to launch in Q2 this year.
What do you think about this Smartphone which is a merger between an Xperia Smartphones and PlayStation Portable Gaming Console?
Please share your thoughts with GizJets using the comment form below and also your friends using the social bookmarking icons.